Since its inception in 2000, The Stark Mountain Foundation (SMF), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, has worked closely with organizations such as the Preservation Trust of Vermont, the Green Mountain Club and the Mad River Glen Cooperative to preserve the unique and historic environment of Stark Mountain.
To preserve and protect the environment and ecosystem of General Stark Mountain, including its recreational access and historic value, and to support programs that promote and sustain that environment for the enjoyment of present and future generations.
With natural snow, the mountain, and its skiers as its primary resources, the flanks of Stark Mountain provide an eastern skiing experience that has become unique with the passage of time over the ski area's 60+ year history. In addition, the renowned Monroe Skyline section of the Long Trail passes over the Mountain, providing hiking and camping opportunities at the Stark's Nest and Theron Dean shelters.
What We've Achieved
Visit our Projects page to learn more about the projects we’ve undertaken in the last decade.
- Partnered with the Preservation Trust of Vermont to fund the $1.7 million rehabilitation of Mad River Glen's historic Single Chair.
- Provided mountain vista boards identifying mountain ranges visible from Stark Mountain.
- Funded restoration projects in buildings that are part of Mad River Glen's historic infrastructure including the Stark's Nest shelter and the Fireplace Room in Mad River Glen's base lodge.
- Granted funds to assist Mad River Glen with its preparation of its application for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Provided need-based scholarships for childrens' educational and recreational programs.
- Participated in the Green Mountain Club's Second Century Campaign to endow maintenance of the Long Trail.
- Helped establish and provide signage for a new network of summer hiking trails.